Christmas 2009
So, my friend Kevin suggested this year, instead of giving gifts to each other we should put all that money together and give it to a family who needs it.
So we found a couple of families and went out shopping.
Tonight we delivered them.
And let me tell you, it was AMAZING.
I found this family by calling East Elementary
This family has 3 little girls and a boy cousin that lives with them.
The little girls are in 3rd grade, 1st grade, and the last will be in Kindergarden next year.
And the boy is in 5th grade.
Over the summer, they all got lice. So the mother stripped everything and they somehow got it again. She was so fed up with it, that she shaved all their heads.
So the little girls go to school wearing beanies.
We get to the house and Paul gets out of the car to find it exactly, while we park far away. He comes back and tells us that there is a fence and that it would be tricky to get out of there.
So the boys load up on the gifts and take them up to the door.
I see them ring the doorbell and see them scatter.
That is all I saw, I parked in the worst place with a huge pole right in my way.
I drive off, and get the information from Paul later, because he was hiding in the bushes.
He (Paul) said this,
"We dropped the stuff off, and the mom came to the door. She told the kids to go to their rooms, and she came back out SOBBING. She stood there speechless.
I wonder how she must have been feeling.
The stresses of not being able to provide your children with Christmas.
What an amazing experience this was for me.
It hit me when I got home, and telling my parents about it,
how lucky I am to come from such a fortunate family.
What strikes me is how I know that there are a lot of families,
especially now, who are struggling, but it isn't until I step outside of my world, and help someone who needs it that it is actually "REAL" and that people need my help.
I'm so grateful for this opportunity to serve another family who needs it.
And what better way to become more like Christ
by serving others who are in need.
Because after all...
HE
is the
REASON
for the SEASON
......
Don't worry that I cried while reading your post. It is all so true. You said it perfectly. How awesome are you?!?!
ReplyDeleteoh I love it! I am so glad that you guys were able to do that for that family! Its so true that we dont realize other people's struggles until we step outside our box and go find those who are in need. You have inspired me and hopefully once we aren't students we can do something like that for another family.
ReplyDeleteYou aren't 'just' my best friend...and I think this post explains why...you guys ROCK!
ReplyDeleteYou guys did good!
ReplyDelete