4.30.2008

Heavy Lifting...?


Well much to my mother's dismay, I decided to carry out a six foot tall bookshelf ALL BY MYSELF today. If anyone knows what my house looks like, they will know how incredibly hard it is to get anything big out of the house.

I'm currently in the process of moving houses, and I've had lots of moving of boxes and etc... to our new house. I've been using Courtney and Darin's bookshelf that they bought when they first got married for the last nine months. I was so worried about getting it out of my room, that I was calling just about everyone I knew to help me. No one would answer, and I didn't have anyone to help me. I called Courtney, I don't really remember the exact question that I asked her and she told me to keep it in my room. Then Darin got on the phone and he told me that I could get it out of my house solo. He said it is only 15 lbs, and that I could drag it if I wanted. I was like well freak, if it is only 15 lbs,and I can drag it, I could have taken it out a long time ago. I get off the phone with him and start dragging. Then while I've made out of my bedroom, and to the door, my phone starts ringing. I run to answer it and it was my mother. I told her the situation and she told me to wait till my roommates get home then I can take if over to Darin's parent's house. I told her I would wait for my roommates to get home. However, she didn't know that the bookshelf was already to the door. Being the middle child, and always wanting to do something my parents tell me not to, I decided that I was just going to finish and NOT wait for one of my 8 roommates to get home. So I start dragging, and pulling and trying to get the bookshelf up the stairs. I see that when I get the bookshelf half way between the stairs and the outside, I was trying to figure out how to get it to my car. Being so smart, I decided to put the back end of my car towards the door. I opened the trunk of my car and realized that it wasn't going to fit, because I had already loaded my car with all my clothes. I set the bookshelf down and hurried and unloaded a few of my suitcases and got the bookshelf in my car.

I drive to the Orem house, and while on my way I contemplate asking someone to help me when I get to the house. But when I got there, there were some boys carrying couches into their house, so I knew they probably wouldn't help me. I unload the bookshelf and get it out when I realized that it is going to be quite the drag to get it into the garage. So I think to myself, I'm such an idiot, why don't I just drive my car into the garage and then it won't be as big as a drag to get it where I want it to go. So, I RELOADED the bookshelf and don't close the trunk of my car and hold onto it with my right had, and steer with my left hand. I finally unload this 6 foot tall bookshelf and drag it to is appropriate spot, shut my car and drive back to my house. RELIEF, but I'm going to have a very SORE body tomorrow. I do have bruises, and they are going to be huge.

3 comments:

  1. I always knew you were a mover and a shaker! I am so calling "Starving Students" moving company- you can bag working on marketing for Jimmy Johns...you've got a career as a mover. Do you have a CDL so you can drive the truck? I am impressed. Yesterday I got a new armoire for my bedroom and I though Caylor was going to kill me! We had one of our neighbors help, but Big Daddy still had to do most of the work. HE told me "NO MORE FURNITURE and if we ever move that big bastard is sold with the house1" Sorry about the bad word...but how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I was waiting for a crazy part in the story like, the book shelf fell on the old man that finally decided he would help me type deal. Good story telling! Tell more miss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 01, 2008

    Stubborn like your mother eh??? She should know where you get your determination from - hello - from her!
    Hope you don't mind I read your blog - you are too funny and quite adventuruous! It's fun to keep up with what you are doing. Have a great summer!
    p.s. I love the short hair!

    ReplyDelete